Thursday, June 18, 2009

Long weekend

Last weekend was a long one that concluded with the loss of the internet. Something I've learned about Cayman is that sometimes things just don't work. Usually they will mysteriously start working again, but this time I had to intervene and it took a couple of days to figure out the problem. So sorry about the lack of posts lately. I'm going to try to do better. 

Monday was the Queen's birthday holiday and we had a nice long weekend with friends. Friday night we went to a Braai (grilled out) at Rob and Monica's, Saturday we went on our friend Greg's boat for a nice afternoon at stingray city and rum point, then on Sunday Bob and I went with the crew to champagne brunch. It was lots of fun hanging out with friends, but by Monday we were shattered. 

Monday we had our first glimpse of what "rain" means here. It was pouring for an hour and then continued to rain steadily the rest of the day. There really aren't drains here so the roads were flooding pretty bad. Our backyard looked like a pond, but didn't stay that way long. Not like at home after a good rain were the water will sit for a day or two. The next morning you would never have known it happened. 

I've not been taking many pictures mostly because we do not have a waterproof camera and our friends do. I need to ask Monica for some photos. If you are on facebook I'd suggest taking a look at Bob and my pages. There are some nice photos from the weekend. 

Dog Update: This week she was limping and it was so sad to watch. I was really worried about it Tuesday, but I checked her leg and nothing seemed broken and she never had an area of swelling or tenderness. We decided to just wait a day or two to see if her condition changed and today she is almost 100%. She wrestles with the dogs around here a lot and we think she probably just pulled a muscle or sprained her ankle. The girl upstairs was a vet and she mentioned her dog has been limping as well, so hopefully it was just our dogs being rowdy. 

This weekend we are going out on a boat again! Another round of stingray city and rum point/kaibo. This time we are going with Bob's work on a "party boat", it is like one of those team building/relaxation things. Whatever, I love stingrays - I don't think I'll every get tired of them! I also never thought I'd enjoy going on boat rides this much. As some of you can attest, I usually get sea sick, even on short trips. But here the water in the bay is so calm and the breeze is so nice, it really is enjoyable to go! 

No comments:

Post a Comment