Saturday, February 6, 2010

Seriously Cayman?

It seems no matter where I go, all over the world, I will never shake my heritage's stereotypes. And even if I tried, life wouldn't let me.

Example A: The biggest Mardi Gras party on the island has the theme of "The Wizard of Oz" this year.


Ash Wednesday is a national holiday here and so everyone has off to "celebrate". All week long the radio station has been playing an advertisement that begins with the phrase, "You're not in Kansas anymore". No kidding, Cayman.

I'm still not sure how "The Wizard of Oz" and Mardi Gras go together, or why you would celebrate it ON Ash Wednesday. I'm assuming it is because of the film's 70th birthday last year and so they can party all day long?

I do love the usage of Wicked, as I love that musical with all my heart. I doubt they will play any of the songs from the show.

1 comment:

  1. I understand about the inability to escape our "heritage". I had a History professor who kept calling me "Dorothy" after he learned where I was from. He didn't have any trouble with Darci until then.

    ReplyDelete